Environment, Health and Safety
Leonardo promotes a culture of workplace health and safety (H&S), environmental protection and social, economic and cultural development for the communities and areas where it operates.
By managing responsible development and competitiveness, Leonardo aims at responding effectively to employees and customers’ health and safety requirements, pursuing an the efficient use of resources and the containment of environmental impact.
According to the Environmental and Workplace Health and Safety Policy, Leonardo is committed to:
- operate within the environmental and workplace H&S laws, regulations and best practices;
- ensure a healthy and safe work environment for workers and any person inside company premises;
- adopt measures to continuously reduce and prevent pollution and waste, minimizing waste production and promoting recycling and re-use strategies;
- promote initiatives to control and reduce the use of hazardous substances and emission of Green House Gas (GHG);
- assess the environmental and social sustainability of the supply chain;
- consolidate the environmental responsibility and the eco-efficiency of business operations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and pursue a sustainable use of water resources;
- identify and assess the environmental and workplace H&S risks of its activities, monitoring and improving the standards adopted;
- disseminate and promote environmental sustainability and workplace H&S protection by means of internal and external communication tools, awareness campaigns, information and training.
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Environmental and health and safety management is based on the implementation of management models that best suit the specifics of each business, with particular attention to compliance with plans and risk evaluation and assessment programs and to the ongoing awareness and training of staff.
By the end of 2016, 47 Leonardo’s sites are equipped with an ISO 14001:2004 certified environmental management system, where 67% of the workforce operates.
The Leonardo sites are progressively starting the transition to ISO 14001:2015 standard
ENERGY E CARBON MANAGEMENT
Energy management in Leonardo combines efficiency and environmental sustainability, with the aim of containing energy consumption, by adopting more efficient plant solutions and good management practices. This is coupled with the use of environmental-friendly energy sources, which help to progressively reduce Leonardo's carbon footprint. By the end of 2016 75% of the electricity consumed came from renewable sources.
Energy initiatives are coordinated by Leonardo Energy Manager, working collaboratively with the referents identified in each Division, supported by a dedicated and specialized department of Leonardo Global Solutions.
In Leonardo 6 sites are equipped with an Energy Management System certified according to ISO 50001: 2011 standard.
Leonardo successfully participates in the CDP evaluation activity.